Wednesday, January 2, 2008

True Fulfillment

I had a really discouraging night last night. I don't want to tell you why, but I feel that it could help you if I do, and so I will. I was thinking a lot about guys and my future husband. I was having doubts that he is even out there. I'm not dating right now, and yet my heart was yearning for someone. Maybe that's a natural thing for those who are single to think about and desire. But there is one important thing that I learned and realized last night: I can't put my trust in people. People always disappoint. People always let you down. Why? Because they're human. People can't ultimately and truly satisfy your needs and desires. People can't ultimately bring you satisfaction. But God can. And God is the only One Who can bring you that true satisfaction that your heart is longing for and desiring to have. You might be single or you might be married. The truth is, no husband [or wife] is ever going to bring you the true satisfaction that you need. Your heart may be telling you different, but the truth is, God is the only One Who can bring you that true satisfaction and the only One Who can complete your heart and the only One Who can satisfy your desires.

I want to tell you [and believe me, I know from experience considering that I have never dated], being single is a wonderful thing. You may think that you need someone right now, but the truth is: you don't. The only Someone you need is God, and even if that is hard to believe, believe it; because it's true. Use the season of life that you are in right now to serve God. Those who are single sometimes waste away their lives and their dreams, waiting, waiting, waiting for God to place the right person in their life. Don't be like that. Use the season of life that you're in right now for God's glory. Get to know Him intimately. He is the only One that you will ever need.

It was late last night and I still hadn't read my Bible reading for the day for the challenge that I'm doing [to read the Bible in 90 days]. I was tired, I was discouraged, and I just wanted to go to sleep and feel sorry for myself. I knew that I needed to get in God's Word, though, and so I did. I read the Bible reading for yesterday, read Proverbs 1, and then got out my journal and just poured out my heart to God while I listened to some really good Christian music. And you know what? I felt completely refreshed. Completely refreshed. Now if that didn't show me that God is my only true source of satisfaction and fulfillment, then I don't know what will. But I did realize then that He really is all that I need. Now will He always be all that I want? No, of course not. I am a human with human desires. I caught myself today desiring the same thing I did yesterday. Does that mean that God isn't my true source of satisfaction? No. That means that I am a human. And I am a human - like every other person out there - who needs God. God holds my true identity, He is ultimately my only source of true satisfaction, He is always there to take me back when I fail, He is the only friend who really knows how I feel and what I'm thinking, and He is the only One Who is always there to pick me up when I fall.

I want to encourage you to right now go to God and just pour your heart out to Him. He does care. He does want to listen. Talk to Him like you would talk to your friend. Cry to Him. He won't turn you away like so many people you know do. He is your only true source of fulfillment and satisfaction. He is all that you need right now, and He is all that you will ever need.

"This is what the LORD says: 'Cursed is the one who trusts in man, who depends on flesh for his strength and whose heart turns away from the LORD.'"
-Jeremiah 17:5


Also, read the prayer that Jesus prayed for us - for you - before He was crucified in John 17:9-21.

2 comments:

On a Joyful Journey! said...

Great insight into the human condition of loneliness... You are right - marriage does not take away every single feeling of loneliness from a human being, and that's not God's intention in a marriage. Only He can truly satisfy the needs and desires of the heart. Only He will not ever "disappoint" us or let us down when we understand His sovereignty and grace in our lives. From experience (as a joyfully married woman) I can tell you that you are setting yourself up for disappointment after disappointment if you think of "developing relationships (dating/courtship/marriage)" as the way to avoid loneliness. I'm not saying this to say that I have a "lonely" marriage (actually the exact opposite is true - I have a wonderful Godly relationship with my husband!), but to say that at times when I've thought wrongly about my relationship with my husband is when times were more difficult (wanting my husband to be everything that "I" wanted... = only God is our "all in all") I Peter 5:7 teaches us to share/cast all anxiety and worry with the Lord because He cares for us... and He alone cares for every tiny detail of our lives. Well, instead of rambling on more - I want to share one verse that I was reminded of when reading John Piper's book, "Desiring God" (which so far has been EXCELLENT reading) - Nehemiah 8:10, "The joy of the Lord is your strength." One comment Piper makes on this verse is that we should "find strength from spiritual joy, not natural supplies..." Molly, continue to seek God's grace, strength and wisdom in your life and you will know this joy that surpasses any human's understanding of "happiness". Thanks for sharing your thoughts and struggles! We can learn so much from one another and the ways the Lord is teaching us from His word. Have a joy-filled day!

Emily said...

Wow, Molly, that was GREAT! I really needed a little extra encouragement in that area!

I'll pray for your prayer request of course! I love ya!
~Em