Monday, May 11, 2009

Learning to Live... Knowing The Life!

Well, Life Action seems to again be proving challenging for a lot of people at my church, including me. I know that there are things that I need to change in my life. Being around different people who have the same goal and are serving and worshiping God with their lives is such an encouragement. It pushes me to want to get out of the routine that I can so easily fall into and serve God in ways that I've never done before.

Wesley was talking a lot about relationships tonight. Something he said that caught my attention was the phrase that if I am not content being single, then I am never going to be content with a boyfriend or a husband. I will always have that discontent and then look to other things to try to make me content. Being a single young woman, this phrase grabbed my attention. Am I truly content with being single right now? If I am not content with where God has me in the different seasons of this life that God has given me, then I will not be content somewhere else. Maybe for a little while, but it won't last. I will only find true fulfillment and satisfaction in life when I am living it for God - when I am following His plans and His dreams for my life and not my own.

He also brought up the point that I must be the kind of girl that the kind of guy that I want will want to pursue. In other words, am I the kind of girl that a Godly guy will one day want to pursue and value? I cannot ask of a guy what I am not willing to give in return. Relationships are not 50-50. They are 100%. There is no meeting halfway. I must take care of my part (which is 100%), even if it costs me my "rights", which I do not have anyway.

Life living in His hands definitely brings great joy. Yeah, there is a cost. No, it's not always easy. It's hard sometimes. Yet I know the Way - why would I ever try to find Someone or something else? I know the Truth - why would I ever want to walk away from Him? I know Life! And I don't deserve Him!

It is a great honor, really, for the Holy Spirit to convict me of things in my life that need to be changed. God does not just let me "sit on a shelf" or "discard" of me after I make mistakes. He lovingly and sometimes persistently knocks at my heart and reveals to me what I need to change. It is a painful process sometimes, but the end result is indescribable. God Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, the Greatest Lover of the universe, the Holy One... wants to change me.

Am I resisting it? Or am I willingly and obediently responding to the Lord's prompting on my heart to change what needs to be changed?

"But even if you suffer for doing what is right, God will reward you for it. So don't worry or be afraid of their threats. Instead, you must worship Christ as Lord of your life. And if someone asks about your Christian hope, always be ready to explain it. But do this in a gentle and respectful way. Keep your conscience clear. Then if people speak against you, they will be ashamed when they see what a good life you live because you belong to Christ."
-1 Peter 3:14-16

1 comment:

Emily Barclay said...

Again...Very veryy good! Thanks for posting!