Thursday, May 7, 2009

Learning to Serve

I learned today that serving Christ is often done through the "little" things that often get overlooked - like spending time with family, going out of your way to do things that no one else will know about, investing your time, energy, and emotions in the lives of friends and family, doing things for others that you don't necessarily "feel" like doing, etc. These things don't go unnoticed because God knows about them and that is more than enough. I have to ask myself what my motives truly are when I do something for somebody; am I motivated out of selfish ambition or a love for others and for God? Do I live to serve and please the Father? And an even harder question than that is do I live to please God, while still a little part of me lives to please others? If so, then I really should evaluate my heart's motives and intentions. If I am doing anything out of selfish ambition - whether I am "serving God" or not - then how can it please Him?

"Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven."
-Matthew 6:1

God is also teaching me that if He is calling me to serve Him in a certain area, then I am not too young or too unqualified to serve Him in that area. Philippians 4:13 says that, "I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." That "Him" is the Holy Spirit who is "able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine" (Ephesians 3:20).

Charles Stanley's devotion actually reminded me of this, at a time when I really needed to hear it today:

What is God calling you to do that is "far more abundantly" beyond all that you think you can achieve? Stop making excuses and get to work! Within you lies untapped potential--not your own strength and abilities, but the Holy Spirit's unlimited might. His power will be unleashed in response to your acting on faith.

"Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen."
-Ephesians 3:20,21

No comments: